ConfigMgr (SCCM) 2012 wont open console–cannot connect to the site

Posted: October 29, 2012 in ConfigMgr, System Center
Tags: , , , , , ,

So, we have started our migration from ConfigMgr 2007 R2 to SCCM 2012. We have installed the new site and now we have started building the required collections as we are using a mix of old collections from ConfigMgr 2007 ( a lot of the built-in collections that are present in ConfigMgr 2007 are NOT present in SCCM 2012. So of course, copy and paste of the Query language is quite useful and this is one of the first things I would do when you are in the process of a SCCM Migration.

Next up boundaries, at least the new version reads Active Directory and then creates the boundaries for you. We are creating custom Boundary groups so suit our needs as we have quite a mix of “FAST” and “SLOW” WAN links.

So far so good, starting to push out clients and get them reporting to the new site. This is going well and can be time-consuming. So, we decided to install the Reporting Point so we can get some decent reports from the system.

By now, it is late on Friday and I decide to push out the installation to a whole collection I have created and allow time over the weekend for the clients to install and report nicely back to SCCM.

So, naturally on Monday morning I want to open the console and see how my “Client Push” went and I was greeted with the following.

SnipImage 

Not exactly want you want to see. So after some more digging around I found this in the event log.

image

And what is really strange is that nothing had changed over the weekend and this is a brand new install and I was able to open the console on Friday afternoon to push out the clients. So, now for some troubleshooting, checked SPN’s with this article, Check!!! no changes and still I cannot connect to the main site.

So now time for some more digging. I now decided it was time to look at this from an SCCM Log point of view. For this, I opened SMSProv.log from the machine I was trying to connect to the console. More proof that something was wrong.

image

So, now I decided to employ a good friend called Uncle Google. Smile

I was able to find a fix here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerdeployment/thread/8670176d-d780-49fc-9f2a-426ab903fe73/

It turns out to be an issue with the SQL 2008 R2 Native Client, after removing the SQL 2008 R2 Client and installing the SQL 2008 Client, no more problems. I think the delay with mine, it that the SQL instance only failed to the second node in our cluster over the weekend. So, when trying to create a new connection to the new node, the native client for SQL 2008 R2 started its havoc.

And it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps,

Follow me.

facebook-small322252222 twitter-small322252222

MCC11_Logo_Horizontal_2-color_thumb_

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s